Who likes rice salad? Who likes mackerel (or sardine, or sardine, or sardine) salad? Why not combine it with this fantastic recipe we call Yum Pla Tu in Thailand?
A mixture of white rice and rice berry provides us with carbohydrates to which we add proteins and vitamins from fish, herbs and green vegetables. The result is a buffet of flavors to choose from in every bite – no joke! A complete and balanced salad that keeps you filling and healthy while tasting fantastic !!!!
You can make this recipe with fresh fish like I do in the video below, or you can use canned fish if you don’t have fresh fish. Of course, canned fish must be drained before use.
Video about the preparation of Yum Pla Too or Thai mackerel salad
Link to make Yum Pla Tu Mixed Rice Salad if the video above doesn’t load for you.
What’s on this page for you?
Publication of references : Some links on this site lead to affiliate sites where we may receive a commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase.
Mixed rice salad with lots of little side dishes for a great dinner.
the ingredients you need.
- Steamed, canned or pre-cooked fresh fish
- Boiled jasmine rice
- Cooked berry rice or brown rice
- Fish sauce
- Dried chilli flakes
- Cashew nuts
- Green onions or chives
- Brown sugar and/or stevia
- Green apple or mango
- Fish sauce
1. Steam the jasmine rice, 2. Cucumber, 3, mint, 4. Green onions, 5. Ginger, 6. Lemongrass, 7. Cooked mackerel (can be substrate), 8. Green apple (or mango), 9. Cashews, 10 years old. Chile, 11. Chalottes, 12. Richberry (brown/black rice), 13. Stevia (or sugar), 14. Fish sauce, 15. Pure chili, 16 years old. Brown sugar, 17. Lime
Why you want to make this Thai rice salad recipe
Rice and berry salad is great for you, but the reality is that a bite of healthy brown rice is just a little hard to eat. The best solution I’ve found is to mix it with jasmine rice, which gives you extra healthy fiber and looks great too. The appearance of the dish is important, right?
A mixed rice salad is nice on its own, but still not very tasty. We address this by adding protein to the fish and surrounding it with small pieces of greens and vegetables, allowing guests to create a unique flavor with each bite.
This is the Thai way and one of the reasons why Thai food is the best in the world!
Consists of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty fish, proteins and vitamins. It is recommended to eat at least one serving a week – and two servings of fish. If you want to learn more about the health benefits, check out this excellent article from the British NHS on fish and shellfish diets.
As we become more aware of what we are doing to our world and our fish stocks, it is good to know that mackerel is a sustainable fish and avoids the high mercury levels of some other fish. If you want to learn more, check out this article on the least harmful and healthiest canned seafood.
Cut half the fish into small pieces to mix with the rice, leaving the other half for presentation and a little more to bite into.
Step 3 Fry and separate the fish
Take a frying pan or skillet and heat olive oil or canned oil until hot. Fry the steamed fish on high heat until golden. This doesn’t have to be long, as you only want to color the fish, not cook it. Leave it alone until it visually turns golden brown, as the time will depend on the heat rating of your source.
Remove the fish from the pan and let it cool a bit – you don’t want to serve it hot, but you also don’t want to burn your fingers in the next step.
Remove the head and carefully break the fish in two along the backbone, leaving one half intact. Remove the bones, taking care to remove the small bones on the edges of the fish, as well as those left in the middle of the fillet after the main bones have been removed.
Set the whole fish half aside (can we say that?) and cut the other half of the fish into small pieces, making sure to remove any bits of bones.
Cut up lots of little extra side dishes for guests to choose from with each bite.
Step 4 Preparation page
While the fish cools, prepare the rest.
The genius of this Thai hot rice salad is not only in the mixture of rice and fish with a little sugar and spices, but also in the presentation that allows you to choose an appetizer with each spoonful.
Prepare a variety of vegetables and herbs, cut into small pieces, so they can be mixed in different combinations with each other and with the fish rice.
You can choose whatever you like, but make sure you have a mix of flavors and spices. We use slices of lemongrass (citrus), ginger (spicy), red onion or shallot (onion), green onion or shallot (spicy), cucumber (refreshing), mint (fresh spice), green apple or mango (slightly sour fruit flavor), cashews (creamy and crunchy), kaffir lime leaves (fresh), lime zest and a squeezed slice for a nice citrus touch.
You can add or omit the ingredients I used to make your own dish. Perhaps cranberries, raisins, sunflower seeds, pecans, chopped paprika, basil, dill, tomatoes, ground salt and pepper, chopped garlic cloves, or even hard-boiled eggs are decoration ideas for you.
Mix the white and brown rice, fish and yum seasoning (mix salad).
Step 5 Assembly
The fun begins!
Prepare the rice salad in a large salad bowl and make the rice salad dressing.
Mix the fish sauce, sugar (or stevia juice if using), chili flakes and lemon (or lime) juice. Add chopped lemongrass, chopped green onions, chopped shallots or red onions, ginger, chili flakes and chopped red chilli. It gives us the flavor to season the rice.
Add the chopped fish pieces, cooked rice berry and jasmine rice and mix with your fingers – see our video above for a visual explanation.
To serve, transfer the mackerel and wet rice salad to a small bowl and squeeze before transferring to plates.
Add the rest of the previously prepared side dishes around your beautiful dome of warm fish, seasoned and spiced rice (warmer than room temperature, but not hot) and carefully set aside your half fish fillet.
Take a step back and contemplate your masterpiece before enjoying the delicious taste.
If this isn’t a good example of exceptional, nutritious Thai food, what is?
Rice and mackerel salad recipe or Khao Yum Pla Tu
Thai rice salad / mackerel salad – Khao Yum Pla Tu Recipe
A video showing the preparation of this recipe is at the top of the page – handy link to the video below the description here.
There are some excellent Thai salads, but this rice salad mixed with mackerel stands out. You can use fresh or canned fish, and it also works with other oily fish like sardines and pilchards. This is a great recipe for using up leftover rice, but it’s certainly special enough to make it a steamed dish, as the rice is mixed and seasoned with some of the fish, then served with the rest of the fish and a few additional side dishes. The person eating the salad can choose exactly how to arrange each spoonful to get a wide range of flavors. You should try it! !!
OPINION: All internal reception images can be turned on or off using the camera icons next to the Instructions section.
Cooking time 10 minutes
Cooking time 3 minutes
Total time 13 minutes
Main course, starter, salad.
For 2 persons
Calories 912 kcal
Ingredientsfor the cream sauce
Ingredients for Kao Yum Pla Too
- 2 medium-sized boiled mackerel or canned fatty fish, drained
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1½ cups cooked jasmine rice
- 1 teaspoon chopped chili zest
- 2 teaspoons chopped shallots
- 2 teaspoons diced ginger
- 2 teaspoons chopped lemongrass
- 2 teaspoons. Small lime, cut into cubes
- 1 Art. Julienned kaffir lime leaves
- 6 slices conc conc conc conc conc conc
- 2 tbsp walnut approx
- 2 tablespoons. Shallots, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons. Chopped Lemon Frappes
- 2 tablespoons. Small cubes of ginger
- 2 Art. Julien Kaffir file will
- 2 tablespoons. Small lime, cut into cubes
- ½ cup green apple substitute and chopped green mango.
Cooking of fish
- If using canned fish, drain the oil or brine – canned fish sizzles in tomato sauce, so don’t use. Save the oil for frying. Don’t follow the boning instructions, because the bones of canned fish are soft enough to eat (and full of nutrients).
- If using fresh fish, steam or microwave, depending on size. You can also just fry the fish and skip the next part, but make sure the fish is cooked without drying out or burning. The choice between direct roasting or steaming/microwave followed by roasting depends on your experience.
- Put cooking oil or olive oil in a pan over a high heat – you can also use canned oil for frying, just make sure the heat is not too high to avoid smoking.
- When the oil is hot, fry freshly cooked fish or canned fish on both sides until golden brown and heated through. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
Preparation of mackerel rice salad
- Take the partially cooled fish and cut it in half, trying to keep the seasoning in the middle – it will be served later with the mixed rice salad. Remove all bones, cut the other half of the fish into small pieces to mix with the rice later.
- In a large bowl (large enough to hold all the rice and fish), mix all the ingredients for the garlic sauce.
- After mixing, add the separate and chopped pieces of fish and the steamed rice and jasmine rice. The rice should be pleasantly warm. If it’s very cold, warm it up a bit beforehand, as you like.
- To finish the rice salad, mix the yum sauce, the chopped pieces of fish and the rice very well with your fingers.
- Scoop into individual serving bowls, pressing down on wet rice and pouring onto serving plates to form a small dome.
Calories: 912kcalCarbohydrates: 136gProtein: 46gFat: 20gSaturated fat: 5gCholesterol: 67mgSodium: 1581mgFiber: 1141mgFibre: 6gSugar: 7gVitamin A: 681Vitamin C: 16mgCalcium: 80mgIron: 5mg
Are you planning to make this recipe?
It would be great if you could take a picture of your finished creation and share it on Instagram. Tag me # – I love seeing your ideas!
I am a Thai mother and I love to cook for my children. Over the years, I have adapted family recipes and borrowed recipes from friends to make them even more delicious. I publish my authentic Thai recipes here for the world to enjoy. Whenever I have the opportunity to travel, I publish information to help others visit Thailand.
Privacy settings,How Search works,thai food recipes